Monday, January 30, 2012

A New F.I.G.H.T

This past weekend I had some serious mentor time. Saturday, in particular, I went to my self-defense mentor's school in Rockaway. Master Samuel DeJesus has not only trained in Taekwondo, but is also very well trained in different styles and continues to be a student himself to broaden his horizons. One of those systems is an Israeli martial arts called Krav Maga or Haganah, and the first time I ever heard of it was when I met Master DeJesus when I tested for 3rd Degree. Never did I ever think I would ever learn this type of martial art back then.

Well almost three years later, here I am on his mats with my sneakers on, learning this simple yet devastating high level striking art. I was in heaven. I do not use Taekwondo for self-defense because I do not find it practical, and neither did my old master. We created a leverage based low level escape system, a high level coordinated self-defense system, a practical means of blocking system, evasion system, striking system, and basic ground fighting. You might think you have read basic a few times in this paragraph. Well that's exactly what it is: basic.

Nothing wrong with basic, because as I teach, basic works, not fancy. Well Master DeJesus is helping me for my masters and it's been YEARS since I ever really added on, or had something different in my self-defense training, or take my self-defense training to a new level. Master DeJesus is AWESOME! He is the most humble, light hearted warrior yet his ability and knowledge in this explosive self-defense art is amazing. He had a fellow instructor come to join us named Brian. Brian was an awesome partner and was a big help to me.

We went over the beginning of the curriculum with how to move and Master DeJesus did progressions on the basics he taught me. I went in with an empty mind, hoping to absorb everything I could. I pretended as if I had no self-defense training in my background, and in a sense, I don't with this style. I was a little timid at first, not wanting to punch or hit Brian when we moved around, but I got over that quickly, and got over myself wearing sneakers too. And he was throwing the punches too. Not that he was out to hurt me, but if I didn't move, I'd remember to if I did get hit.

I was in heaven. Learning these open handed defenses and new weapon defenses, it was truly like Christmas morning for me. After we went over the beginning curriculum in the open handed defenses and the gun defenses, we did a review which was really good to keep me on my toes. I couldn't wait to get back to my school and get one of my Black Belts to help me practice. At the end of the lesson, I got to talking to Master DeJesus and asking questions and explaining some of my goals, and expressing how excited I was to continue learning the curriculum and about the art itself. He took out a F.I.G.H.T (Fierce Israeli Guerrilla Hand-to-hand Tactics) handbook that will help me go over what we learned and give me the ability to study the new material I am learning in my new training with him.

Well I was beside myself! I was absolutely thrilled, I couldn't express my gratitude to him enough! He knows me too. I am going to read it cover to cover and not be able to put it down and will be practicing and practicing and he will put me to the test, I know he will. The mentor gave me exactly what would help me move forward in my training and I couldn't be happier! I will be meeting with him again next month and my goal is to commit to at least twice a month. I'll be making up a lot of time in March, but I will really be moving forward.

I really feel awesome learning this self-defense with Master DeJesus. One, it's again me branching out in my training and I know I am entering my masterhood and a whole new level of my training. And two, I have a mentor who epitomizes what it is to be a master, whom I greatly respect and admire. And that always makes the experience ten times more enjoyable! It keeps my spirit strong and happy.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment